12 Dec 2014

My first commonplace book


With all the talk about commonplace books about at the moment, I thought some of you might like to take a look at my very first commonplace book, begun in my teens and used into my early twenties.

Being as I was not quite as familiar with Charlotte Mason then as I am now, I didn't quite stick to the rules. Some pages are undated, and quotes are not attributed. I also stuck in a bit of memorabilia. Ahem. Nevertheless, it really takes me back to those angst filled days when I didn't really know who or what I really was. I wouldn't be twenty again for quids - would you?






My favourite photo of me. I was just two.



I've always loved Rabbie.













Learning about me.



My love for Dan Fogelburg began early, see, Megan!



I am fascinated to find that Japanese philosophy interested me even way back then.



Still a beautiful song, don't you think?









More Dan.



And some Byron.



More Japonisme!



And a pile of more recent commonplace books and Scripture journals.

Have you always been a Keeper as well?

16 comments:

  1. Just beautiful. Yes, I have quite a stack, and a couple on the go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my GOODNESS, do I love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes...& no. I have kept a diary on & off always. The past is painful. I don't often return there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! You are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When you asked that question, I realized that...yes, indeed, I have always been a keeper. My journals etc have definitely changed form and purpose over the years, but oh how I love them. I've been meaning to dig out some of my earliest ones and take a look over them. You may have just inspired me to actually do it! :) I love seeing yours!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS - Is that the remnants of some dried flower/leaf that I see??? I ask because that is dear to my heart also. I have many of those as well and they bring back memories!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I made potpourri from some roses I was given by...never mind...someone. Tee hee. It doesn't smell anymore, but still looks pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely, And those cat sketches. Are they yours? I had books like this in those teenage years, keepsakes rather that diaries. Since then I've been on & off with it. Prayer journals mainly. Not really sharing material. Yours are lovely and I think mementos make them very real and personal. How are you anyway? This is Ruby posting after a very long absence. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bought all Fogelburg's CDs, even the bluegrass one. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful Handwriting. I haven't always been a keeper, of words, I did always love notebooks, but I mostly drew in them. Sadly I don't know what became of all of them. - we moved around so much. I did keep a handwritten songbook as a young girl though, I still love to look through it. Recently I have been inspired to start a commonplace book, and a book of centuries. I hope that my example will inspire my kids to be keepers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have diaries from the past but don't keep them any more, just don't feel I have anything to say.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this book. Did you just decide to keep it or did someone encourage you to do it?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Michelle, I saw the journal in a shop and really wanted it...so I bought it. I can still remember how much I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Extraordinary number of cats!! I don't think there are rules for this sort of journal, though as a librarian I do like people giving credit where credit is due and citing their sources! Nice book.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful! Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love you to leave me a message. Tell me what you like - and what you don't. Just remember that this is what we do in our family - it doesn't have to be what you do in yours...